Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brownstone Canyon Red Rock National Conservation Area

A section of Brown Stone Canyon I call the Fins

On of the 2 dams built in Brownstone.  This one is at the very end.
Color or Monocrhrome which do you prefer?
The red and yellow rocks were beautiful

The Fins

I used a process called Pixel Bender on this image it has a fun look.
Unlike petroglyphs the rock art uses paint
These images were under a overhang protecting the paint over the years. The paint had brilliant reds, yellows and whites.
A fellow photo buddy Ronnie, Dennis and I hiked to the end of brownstone canyon Saturday 2/25/12 aprox 4.5 miles round trip. We went because in a hidden area of the canon there is some Native American Rock Art that I had wanted to photograph. I was not disappointed. It was beautiful. Reds yellows and white paintings it filled an entire wall. We also hiked to several man made dams whether to provide a much needed watering hole for animals or to help with flash flooding I do not know but it was fascinating to see the sites. There were many facinating geological formations like brain rock.   I would like to spend the night there and get some sunrise shots that overlook the whole Las Vegas valley. The hiking was great the company was the best.

No comments: