Friday, March 9, 2012

Valley of Fire

Saturday I went to the Valley of Fire for a photo trip.  I was going to meet up with a group who were going to hike out to a  little known arch.  I thought this if a perfect chance to see something I hadn't seen before at Vof F, so off I went.  I packed up and left at first light. I stopped at the Tribal store and bought a few snacks, sunglasses (I couldn't find mine) and some sparklers for a later date to do some night photography.  Who knew they would be $19.00 I was is shock at the check out, but I didn't want to take they back so I paid.  They better be good. 
      I should have been at Vof F at sunrise but my old lazy self couldn't do it.   Seeing how the hike didn't start until 9:30 am I had plenty of time to hike around and get some shots I had missed last time out.  Most of the places where there are petoglyphs have been vandalized.  There was a little pointed piece of sandstone I went to go shoot again and it had been broken off.  My friend Jay who is a ranger there said that they have to go out once a month and remove graffitie.  It breaks my heart that people can't respect nature. 


  Look close at this rock formation it looks like a Garyolye.
The Gargoyle

Crying Rock

Half Man  (see the graffiti at the bottom)

great petoglyphs (more graffiti)

After photographing for a few hours I went to the Visitor's Center to meet up with the group.  No Group.  No one knew anything about the hike and so after waiting an hour.  I drove home.  On the way I stopped at the Petrified log turn out. 

Petirfied Wood
Even though I didn't get to hike back into the hidden arch.  I spotted this one some distance away from the road.  I think I will come back and get a little closer next time. 

There will be a next time .  I love hiking and photographing at the V of F.  there is always something to see and photograph.

Until next time. 

No comments: